Requirements Elicitation and Migration from Sharepoint 2007 to Sharepoint 2010

Feb 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Motivation:
* Trying not to reinvent the wheel
* Attempt for partial reuse from a prior effort
I am planning to embark on a project to systematically migrate from an existing
Sharepoint 2007 implementation to Sharepoint 2010. I will be gathering business
and technical requirements, aggregate, prioritize and simplify the business requirements and simplify the solution wherever possible.
I'd like to know if there exist tools to reverse engineer a subset of the requirements from an existing Sharepoint implementation. 
Happy to learn about any prior efforts from similar projects so that I can
create a requirements checklist and understand the good, bad and ugly.
Thanks for sharing.

Motivation:

* Trying not to reinvent the wheel

* Attempt for partial reuse from a prior effort

I am planning to embark on a project to systematically migrate from an existing Sharepoint 2007 implementation to Sharepoint 2010.

I will be gathering business and technical requirements, aggregate, prioritize and simplify the business requirements and simplify the solution wherever possible.

I'd like to know if there exist tools to reverse engineer a subset of the requirements from an existing Sharepoint implementation. 

Happy to learn about any prior efforts from similar projects so that I can create a requirements checklist and understand the good, bad and ugly parts of the existing Sharepoint customization.

Thanks for sharing.

Uthkarna

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:55 AM

SPSource was never really about migrating from major version to major version. It was to reverse engineer Content Artefacts to Solution Artefacts. The Object Model is very extensive. One of things I found tricky was identifying what property in the object model represented what in the user interface when trying to build things programmatically or declaratively. That's a huge task you are taking on there...