Limitations of SPSource

May 6, 2009 at 1:49 AM

Hi,

I am working as a contract for a sharepoint project. There is a requirement to be able to package up an entire site and all its subsite's one of the developers on staff created a msdn thread with more detail http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointadmin/thread/74c03f97-d750-44b2-b532-899b766de571. He said that there are limitations to using spsource i still believe its a viable option, are we just using it wrong?
May 6, 2009 at 2:02 AM
I've responded that thread as the limitation he provided around SPSource is incorrect as of v1.0.0.0 as it can reverse engineer lists. More information on this is available in the web cast links on the homepage.

As for the issue with having artifacts you want to reverse engineer at different levels...e.g. Site collection (SPSite) and Sites (SPWeb). My advice would be that these should be separate WSPs and Features anyway. Therefore each Visual Studio WSP Project can call SPSource with different URLs depending on what level site is being targetted. I will put together a web cast shortly on this scenario as it has come up a little bit lately.
May 6, 2009 at 2:57 AM
Ok, Thankyou for that.

Also do you have a more detailed walkthrough on how to use SPSource, from getting it setup up to doing something simple like retrieving a site?
May 6, 2009 at 3:03 AM
On the homepage there are webcasts:
http://spsource.codeplex.com/

view listemplate screencast demo

I will be very shortly be producing a PDF with step by step instructions to get you started...but the screencast should be enough for now.
May 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM
ill have a look, but i think the other one was a blurry i couldnt see anything, ill try it and ill let you know of any problems i am having
May 7, 2009 at 2:18 AM
Hi,

This morning i followed the screencast and everything worked perfectly. thanks. The next question that i am curious about, is if i had two sites under one site collection and i had a list that i packaged up into a WSP if i then deploy it to both sites will i encounter any problems? like conflicts with GUIDS or with search? I suppose the question is more if i upload a feature to multiple sites or sitecollections and webs that are throughout multiple farms on the same forrest do you think that i would encounter any conflicts or problems?
May 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM
No issues with activating feature on multiple site collections.
May 7, 2009 at 3:02 AM
yeah sorry about that mate, i just re-read my question, i was just thinking of it to complicatedly
May 7, 2009 at 6:53 AM
For some reason SPSource is know coming up with the following error when i try and run it

----------------------------------------------------
Exception Occured
----------------------------------------------------
An exception occured while running SPSource:Object reference not set to an instance of an object
May 7, 2009 at 7:09 AM
Its alright i figured it out, apparently "Url" doesnt mean "URL"
On a second note how do i use spsource to get a site?
May 7, 2009 at 7:13 AM
SPSource currently only handles reverse engineering artefacts within a Site, not actually creating a Site Template. I think that is what you mean right?

Good point about the parameters on SPSource, I am going to change how that all works to be more user friendly...we were more concerned with the actual generation of the xml over that at first...but now this is a priority.
May 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM
dont worry thats just a pet peeve i have with c#
What would be your suggestion to package up a site collection?
May 7, 2009 at 7:49 AM
There are various ways to package up an entire site collection.

THe approach I take is to build everything in Features and deploy it that way.

Others use Site Definitions, others use Site Templates..some simply do Backup/Restore from each environment. EAch has it's own issues.

Should start by reading Site Features vs. Site Templates vs. Site Definitions.

And also take a look at my series on SharePointMagazine.net too links are on my blog at wss.made4the.net