SPSource workflow

May 5, 2009 at 12:30 PM
I really like and am really interested in using a tool besides SharePoint Solution Generator to pull various SharePoint artifacts into features. The one thing that bothers me is that SPSource is designed around a very specific way of doing things - it appears that you must use its design / dev site workflow. Is this correct?

I'd also like to use its functionality as a one-off to base new features on, or perhaps extract artifacts from a production server, etc...

Thanks for this tool @richfinn and @jthake. It's great to have a community open source tool that can do this stuff!

May 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM
Thanks. yes I have been looking at the approach to deploy a tool via WSP to enable this to reverse engineer remote sites. Which would be extremely helpful. This could be done by deploying a web service to the _layouts folder via a WSP and simply call this and transport the files via MTOM back. Be a great way to pull things back to dev from production that Information Workers have built etc.

The design/dev workflow is where SPSource is geared...but there is no stopping you just using SPSource as a base and then not using it again on the project to get over the first few hurdles. What are you main concerns around this approach? More importantly how do you currently work?
May 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM
That's what I'm having to do... my environment is basically a remote VM with a development instance of SharePoint. This VM's performance is very subpar, so I only have VisualStudio installed on there for things like SPSource and VSeWSS. I develop on my local PC with custom build commands that copy the wsp to the server, where I manually install it.

As far as SPSource is concerned, what's worked best for me so far is like you mentioned - I just use it as a base. I have a dummy project in my VS instance on the VM that I run SPSource against, then I just pull out what I need into my desktop's VS project.

Here's to hoping that SharePoint 10 has more remote development capabilities...  :-)