List vs Document Library

May 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM
First, awesome tool here... I spent the better part of last week trying to find the best way to extract my custom views and schema.xml without much luck. In a matter of minutes this morning I was able to take SPSource and get everything working... brilliant!

Forgive me if I'm way off-base with anything here, I've only been working with SharePoint for a few months now, so I'm still quite new at all this. I have a document library that I'm submitting InfoPath forms to (browser enabled). I have custom views of course. I was able to use SPSource against my Document Library (my library is called "Requests") without any problems. However, the feature it creates wants to place it in ~/Lists/Requests where originally the Library was created at ~/Requests. Ultimately, I don't care where the library lives...

So my question is, does it matter if a Document Library is in the same place as a List? Aren't they essentially the same thing? If it does matter, can I use something like DocumentLibrary.spsource instead of Lists.spsource in my project?

I hope I haven't butchered my question too much... thanks for a great tool!
-Sean
May 5, 2009 at 1:16 AM
Edited May 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM
Thanks for compliments.

I had this feature in mind for a later release...I’ve put it into CodePlex so if you’d like to add any detail on scenarios that it would be useful I’d appreciate it. http://spsource.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=22272

As for “what do I do in the meantime”...you can change the listmanifests ListInstance definition URL attribute to whatever you like without impacting it working or not ;-) Doesn’t need to be in Lists.

May 5, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Great, thanks! I did figure out where to make the changes in the schema.xml that's generated, but I didn't even think to look at the list_manifests.xml.

Another problem I'm having, completely out of the scope of SPSource, is that I'm having to drop what's generated from SPSource into a .sln that Microsoft left me after being onsite for awhile (basically just taking the schema.xml and the custom aspx views). They gave me a template project to work from (lots of event receivers, list features, etc already coded), but I think I'm going to have to rewrite a lot of it... but, that's not an SPSource problem! :-) Shoot, based on my InfoPath experiences so far I'm about 3 days away from writing my own form and just submitting to a list with a custom content type. That'll save us some cost in enterprise licensing!!  :-)

Thanks for the response, and for posting the issue - I'll keep track of that...
-Sean
May 5, 2009 at 2:19 AM
There's some good articles and wiki pages on the sharepointdevwiki.com around InfoPath forms. Be interested to get your contributions on your experiences with it too:

InfoPath Forms vs ASP.NET forms
InfoPath Forms Services Development
Developing a InfoPath Solution using a Solution Package
May 5, 2009 at 1:54 PM
SharePointDevWiki.com has been awesome... I've learned quite a bit from that site. I've read through most of the InfoPath stuff and in fact, after I read the "... VS ASP.NET forms" page I started kicking myself (I come from a design background, so hand coding forms is a breeze for me).

Anyway, there is one thing I'm struggling with that I can't seem to find a solution for. I'm not sure if it's something I don't understand about the SP architecture or not. I'm also not sure if it's something that SPSource should be doing, so I don't want to create a new thread and muddy up the discussion list...

The problem: I mentioned above that everything was working great, but I got ahead of myself... the schema.xml is perfect for the default views and any views I create that I have not yet customized. And by customized, I mean with SharePoint Designer (ugh). Basically I convert my data views to an XSLT data view, then start doing some customization with all the fields I'm getting out of InfoPath (my content type). Once I've made these customizations, things start going downhill. I was hoping that SPSource (or VSeWSS, or anything really) would pull the schema.xml and the changes to the view - but I can't find where those changes really live. The schema.xml's <view> entry becomes one line, but MyCustomView.aspx doesn't have any of the XSLT that I've worked on in SharePoint Designer...

So I'm really stumped. I've also poked around in SharePoint Manager 2007, looking at everything, and I'm lost... any pointers?